What are cinnamon toast crunch cookies?
Cinnamon toast crunch cookies are absolutely delicious and let me tell you why. First of all, the warm and aromatic flavor of cinnamon brings a cozy and comforting feeling, making them perfect for a cold day or as a sweet treat. Let’s not forget about the buttery base which provides a rich and indulgent taste that is simply irresistible. Our goal here is to reduce the calorie content while still keeping as much of the original flavor profile as possible.
What makes them taste so good?
There are several reasons why cinnamon toast cookies are so delicious! Here are a few:
Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a warm, aromatic spice that is often associated with comfort and coziness. Its sweet and slightly spicy flavor is the perfect complement to a sugary cookie base.
Sugar: Cinnamon toast cookies often feature a sugar & cinnamon topping, which adds a delicious flavor and texture. This combination is a winning one!
Butter: Butter is a key ingredient in many cookie recipes, including cinnamon toast cookies. Its rich, creamy flavor adds depth and richness to the cookies, making them even more delicious. While butter is delicious and heartwarming, this will be one of the first places we look to reduce some calories because 100+ calories for just 1 tablespoon adds up quickly! We’re going to use light margarine in place of butter and adjust some other key ingredients to keep the same great taste.
Nostalgia: For many people, cinnamon toast cookies may evoke feelings of nostalgia and happy memories. Perhaps they remind you of childhood breakfasts or special family gatherings. These positive associations can make the cookies even more enjoyable to eat.
Versatility: Cinnamon toast cookies are versatile and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. They are delicious on their own as a snack, but can also be paired with a cup of tea or coffee, or used as a base for ice cream sandwiches or other desserts.
Why did we choose cinnamon toast crunch cookies?
Cinnamon toast crunch cookies have a versatility factor that many other cookies lack. They are perfect for a snack, and can be paired with your favorite hot beverage like tea or coffee. Additionally, they can be used as a base for ice cream sandwiches, or crumbled up and used as a topping for your favorite dessert.
These Cinnamon toast crunch cookies have a nostalgic quality that brings back sweet memories of childhood. Maybe you remember waking up to a big bowl of cinnamon toast crunch in the morning, or having them as an afternoon snack. Whatever the memory, it just adds to the pleasure of enjoying these cookies.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious, comforting, and versatile treat, then look no further than these low calorie cinnamon toast cookies. They’re a perfect blend of sweet and buttery goodness that will leave you wanting more! The best part? We’ve got them down to just 98 calories per cookie.
What are the Calories / Macros?
This recipe makes 20 regular sized cookies (using a 1.5 tbsp scoop).
Each cookie without the topping is 84 calories, 15g carbs, 2g fat, 1.2g protein.
The topping for each cookie is 14 calories, 3g carbs and a minuscule amount of fat & protein.
In total the cookies are 98 calories, 18g carbs, 2g fat, 1.2g protein.
What if I use zero calorie sweetener instead of sugar?
I don’t recommend replacing the sugar in any of my recipes. I have not personally tested zero calorie sweetener in any of them and do not know if there will be changes in texture or flavor.
If you decide to replace the sugar with a zero calorie sweetener in this recipe I would only replace the granulated sugar in the cookie and I would still use granulated sugar for rolling.
Replacing the sugar in the cookie the calories will be reduced to 64 calories for the cookie with no topping, 78 calories with the topping.
If you choose to replace all of the granulated sugar in the recipe, including for rolling, the calories will be reduced to 57 calories per cookie without topping, 71 calories with the topping.
The batter does not come together like a regular cookie dough batter. You cannot handle this by hand until after it’s been coated in cinnamon sugar. You need to scoop either with a cookie scoop or a spoon into the cinnamon sugar, roll and then your dough will be more of a mushy blob. Give these some space on the baking sheet because they will spread out.
Ingredients to make the best cinnamon toast crunch cookies
- ½ cup light margarine (113g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar (25g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
- 1 & ½ cup all purpose flour (175g)
- 2 tablespoon corn starch (also known as corn flour) (10g)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar (2g)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (2g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (1.5g)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (3g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (2g)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar (38g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (6g)
- 60g Marshmallow Fluff
- 20g Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a medium bowl cream together margarine, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the remainder of your wet cookie ingredients.
3. Add in all dry ingredients for the cookie to your wet mixture and mix until just combined. Batter will have a wet sticky consistency.
4. Combine together your cinnamon and sugar for rolling, Use a scoop or a spoon to place dough balls in mixture. Coat completely and move to a prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Let cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack.
7. Once cookies are completely cooled spoon 3g of marshmallow fluff on the top of each cookie and top with 1g of crushed cinnamon toast crunch.
If you love these, try our other low calorie cookie recipes!
Cinnamon Toast Crunch CookiesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These delicious low calorie cinnamon toast crunch cookies are only 98 calories per cookie and use real sugars! Enjoy them guilt free!
- FOR THE COOKIES
½ cup light margarine (113g)
½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
2 tablespoon brown sugar (25g)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
1 & ½ cup all purpose flour (175g)
2 tablespoon corn starch (10g)
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar (2g)
½ teaspoon baking powder (2g)
¼ teaspoon baking soda (1.5g)
½ teaspoon cinnamon (3g)
¼ teaspoon salt (2g)
- FOR ROLLING
3 tbsp granulated sugar (38g)
1 tsp cinnamon (6g)
- FOR THE TOPPING
60g marshmallow fluff
20g cinnamon toast crunch cereal
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl cream together margarine, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the remainder of your wet cookie ingredients.
- Add in all dry ingredients for the cookie to your wet mixture and mix until just combined. Batter will have a wet sticky consistency.
- Combine together your cinnamon and sugar for rolling, Use a scoop or a spoon to place dough balls in mixture. Coat completely and move to a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool on a baking sheet for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack.
- Once cookies are completely cooled spoon 3g of marshmallow fluff on the top of each cookie and top with 1g of crushed cinnamon toast crunch.
- The batter is very sticky, you’ll need to use a spoon or scoop to drop it into the cinnamon sugar mixture.