Are you ready for a breakfast that will make your taste buds sing and your muscles grow? Look no further than this hot chocolate protein pancakes recipe!
With simple ingredients like oat flour, egg whites, whey / casein protein powder and cocoa powder, these easy protein pancakes pack in grams of protein without any unnecessary calories. The best part? They taste just as delicious as regular pancakes… okay, well regular pancakes that are made of chocolate and marshmallow goodness. If Chocolate isn’t your vibe I have another protein pancakes recipe that’s amazing. Check out my Strawberries and Cream Protein Pancakes recipe!
Type of Protein Powder
I’ve attempted this recipe with a few different types of protein powders. I would avoid whey protein powder for this recipe as it tends to dry out too much and you are left with sad dried out pancakes – not the fluffy pancakes you wanted.
I believe you should be able to get away with using pea protein powder or any plant-based protein powder but don’t overdo it. We want protein pancakes…not protein powder pancakes.
This is by far my favorite way to make this easy high-protein breakfast, The best part is these low calorie protein pancakes don’t even taste like weight loss food! They taste just like delicious pancakes!
Shelf Stable Perfect Protein Pancakes Base
I’m lazy and because I know I’m lazy when I finally get around to “doing the damn thing” I want to do as much as possible before all that positive energy runs out. It only takes 2-3 minutes to bulk make the best protein pancakes mix. You’ll have it on hand for months (and it’s shelf stable too!)
To meal prep the pancake mix for this recipe you’ll mix together:
- 15 scoops (500 g) whey/casein blend
- 4 cups (400 g) oat flour
- 1 ⅔ cups (200 g) cornstarch 5 tsp
- (20 g) baking powder
Combine and whisk together, Store in an airtight container in your pantry, When you are ready to make pancakes scoop out 56g of mix and combine with the wet ingredients below (and any fillings to flavor your pancakes).
Ingredients Needed to Make This Easy Protein Pancake Recipe
- 30g protein powder (I use PEScience Chocolate Cupcake, use your favorite protein powder but make sure it’s a whey / casein blend)
- 20g oat flour (make your own! Grind old fashioned oats!)
- 5g Cocoa Powder (I use King Arthur black cocoa! Use whatever cocoa you have on hand!)
- 10g cornstarch
- 1g baking powder
- 60g liquid egg whites
- 65g nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 25g water
- 5g Jet puffed marshmallow bits (These will be next to the hot chocolate in your supermarket!)
- Optional topping: 5g Chocolate Chips & 10g light pancake syrup
Directions To Make These Delicious Protein Pancakes
In a medium bowl combine together all of your dry ingredients except jet puffed marshmallow bits. Add in all of the liquid ingredients (egg whites, greek yogurt and water) and mix until combined. If you want to make these a little sweeter I’d recommend adding in a small amount of monk fruit sweetener but I don’t think they need it. Place a large nonstick skillet on your stove top and preheat to medium heat. Lightly oil the pan to ensure the pancakes don’t stick. Pour 1/5th of the batter in for each pancake. Once bubbles form and stop “filling themselves in” it’s time to flip the pancakes. This shouldn’t be more than 1-2 minutes. Cook on the opposite side for 1-2 minutes then remove from heat. Immediately top with marshmallow bits . Optionally you can melt together light maple syrup and chocolate chips in the microwave to make a chocolate syrup.
What Are The Calories / Macros?
These fluffy protein pancakes come out to only 328 calories and 40g of protein will leave you feeling full for hours! This stack of pancakes will feel more like a dessert than a healthy breakfast!
This recipes makes a stack of 5 pancakes. The stack of pancakes is 328 calories, 35g carbs, 4.3g fat, 40g protein. The chocolate maple syrup will add 39 calories for a total of 367 calories.
Chocolate Marshmallow Protein Pancakes RecipeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
30g Chocolate protein powder
20g Oat flour
5g Cocoa Powder
1g Baking powder
60g Liquid egg whites
65g Nonfat plain greek yogurt
5g Jet puffed marshmallow bits
Optional topping: 5g Chocolate Chips & 10g light pancake syrup
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients except for jet puffed marshmallows.
- Add in all wet ingredients (egg whites, greek yogurt, water) Mix until combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Pour 1/5th of the batter into the pan. Flip pancake after 1-2 minutes, cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, repeat until batter is used.
- As you remove each pancake from the pan top with white chips and marshmallows.
- Optional: In a small dish add together chocolate chips and light syrup. Microwave for 15 seconds or until melted. Stir together and pour over top.