Gyros are one of my favorite foods. I couldn’t even dream about cutting them out of my diet. Luckily I discovered this recipe that allows you to have a few gyros a day and still lose weight!
- 60 Calories – 1 Joseph’s Pita (The Secret – if you can’t find it locally you can grab it on amazon https://amzn.to/2T5apdf)
- Shredded Lettuce
- 100 Calories – 1 Serving Steak-umm Frozen Beef
- 35 Calories – 1 serving Trader Joe’s Tzatziki Sauce
The key ingredient here is the Joseph’s Pita. A single pita is about 60 calories, which well under the calorie content of regular pitas. Before I discovered these, I used to use 190 calorie stop and shop pitas. They are a bit bigger but they contain roughly as many calories as this whole gyro!
- Heat the pita up in a skillet or in a toaster over. You can use a tiny bit of butter for extra flavor but make sure you account for the extra calories.
- Spray a bit of cooking spray in a skillet and set the heat to medium. Throw a serving of steak-umm into the skillet and cook until brown on both sides (about 1 to 2 mintues).
- Load up the pita with some lettuce. Cut the beef up into strips and put it on the pita.
- Load up the gyro with tzatziki as desired.
- Dig in!
Calorie counting doesn’t have to be tough. With the right foods, it is very easy to lose weight while still enjoying what you eat. This delicious gyro recipe is one example of how you can find a way to fit your favorite foods into your diet and still lose weight!